- The blades of ANAFI USA’s propellers have been conceived by biomimicry: they are inspired by the knobs of the anterior edge of the pectoral fins of humpback whales.
- Each propeller, consisting in two blades, is simply screwed on.
- From a flight perspective, ANAFI USA outperforms drones which are 1.5 times heavier and twice as cumbersome.
The advantages of “humpback whale blades”
1. The conception of the blade minimizes the transitory separation of the boundary-layer for each blade, to:
- recover thrust at constant motor rotation speed (rpm) – or alternatively to keep thrust while lowering the motor speed;
- minimize the sensitivity of the raising of mechanical power when blades twist.
Therefore, with a lower rotation speed for a higher engine torque, ANAFI USA emulates a rotor whose power is higher than the theoretical capacity of its diameter.
2. The tonal sound power of the anterior edge of the blade, is minimized, lowering the noise of the flight.